Day at the Farm Quilt
Inspired by: Tiny Stitches from designer Lori DeJarnatt
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/4 yard total assorted prints (quilt center)
- 1/4 yard each white print, black print, and red print (quilt center, borders, binding)
- 2/3 yard backing fabric
- 24"-square batting
Finished quilt: 15-1/2" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints, cut:
- 36—1-1/2" squares
From white print, cut:
- 2—4 -1/2" squares (cut each diagonally twice in an X for 8 setting triangles total)
- 2—3" squares (cut each diagonally in half for 4 corner triangles total)
- 4—2 -1/2" setting squares
From black print, cut:
- 2—2-1/2×42" binding strips
- 2—1-1/4×10-1/2" inner border strips
- 2— 1 -1/4×9" inner border strips
From red print, cut:
- 2—3×15-1/2" outer border strips
- 2—3×10-1/2" outer border strips
Assemble Quilt Center
These measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together four assorted print 1-1/2" squares in pairs. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. The unit should be 2 -1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make nine Four-Patch units total.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out Four-Patch units and white print 2 -1/2" setting squares and setting triangles in five diagonal rows. Sew together pieces in rows; press seams toward setting squares and triangles. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add white print corner triangles to make quilt center; press seams toward corner triangles. Trim dog ears off outer edges of quilt center, if desired.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew black print 1 -1/4×9" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add black print 1-1/4 ×10-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border.
2. Sew red print 3×10-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add red print 3×15-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward outer border to complete quilt top.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Quilt tester Diane Tomlinson machine-quilted a stipple design in the white print triangles and squares. She stitched in the ditch around each Four-Patch unit and inner border. She also stitched an X in each corner of the outer border.
3. Bind with black print binding strips.