Courthouse Steps Crib Quilt
Use a two-tone palette to create strong diagonal lines across this crib-size quilt. Fabrics in the pieced blocks and fussy-cut setting squares are from two collections-Farm House Retreat and Itsy Bits-both by Renée Nanneman for Andover Fabrics.
Inspired by Baby Steps from designer Kathie Holland Quilt tester: Kathleen Williams
3/4 yard total assorted red prints (blocks)
3/4 yard total assorted blue prints (blocks)
2/3 yard red floral (setting squares, binding)
1/3 yard blue floral (setting squares)
1/2 yard blue bird print (setting squares)
1/2 yard red bird print (setting squares)
2-1/2 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 36-1/2x52-1/2"
Finished block: 4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated. Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order.
To plan this quilt in your own colorway, click on "Download this Project" for a Coloring Diagram.
From assorted red prints, cut:
From assorted blue prints, cut:
From red floral, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
15-4-1/2" setting squares
From blue floral, cut:
15-4-1/2" setting squares
From blue bird print, fussy-cut:
14-4-1/2" setting squares
From red bird print, fussy-cut:
15-4-1/2" setting squaresDownload this Project
1. Sew together two assorted red print 1-1/2" squares to make a two-patch unit (Diagram 1). Press seam in one direction.
2. Join a red print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to right-hand edge of two-patch unit to make a pieced square (Diagram 2). Press seam toward rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, sew an assorted blue print 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle to top and bottom edges of pieced square. Press seams away from pieced square.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, join a blue print 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle to each remaining edge of pieced square to make a blue block. Press seams away from pieced square. The block should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 to make 29 blue blocks total.
6. Using blue print 1-1/2" squares and a 1-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a pieced square. Using red print 1-1/2x2-1/2" and 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles, repeat steps 3 and 4 to make a red block (Diagram 5). Repeat to make 29 red blocks total.Download this Project
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and setting squares in 13 horizontal rows, alternating blocks and setting squares and rotating blocks as desired.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press all seams toward setting squares.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction. Download this Project
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. 2. Bind with red floral binding strips.