Autograph Kid’s Quilt
Create a keepsake for a child's birthday party by making a table cover quilt out of blocks that partygoers can sign. Fabrics are Mary Lou Weidman's Happiness Is collection by Benartex.
Inspired by "Friendship Album" from designer Jo Morton
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
7/8 yard total assorted prints in blue, yellow, pink, and green (blocks) (See Tip for Cutting, page 2.)
1 yard cream star print (blocks)
1 yard blue print (sashing, binding)
1/4 yard blue star print (sashing squares)
1-1/2 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 35-1/4x46-1/4"
Finished block: 9-1/4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints, cut 12 sets of:
From cream star print cut:
36-4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 144 large triangles total
24-2-1/2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 48 small triangles total
From blue print, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
31-2-1/4x9-3/4" sashing rectangles
From blue star print, cut:
20-2-1/4" sashing squares
Tip for Cutting
One 10" square will yield one set of pieces for a Chimney Sweep block (Cutting Diagram):
1. For one Chimney Sweep block gather one set of matching print pieces (two 2-1/8x5-3/8" rectangles, six 2-1/8x3-3/4" rectangles, and two 2-1/8" squares), one cream star print 2-1/8x5-3/8" rectangle, two cream star print 2-1/8" squares, 12 cream star print large triangles, and four cream star print small triangles.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out all pieces except small triangles in rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward assorted print squares and rectangles. Join rows; press seams in one direction.
3. Add a cream star print small triangle to each corner to make a Chimney Sweep block (Diagram 2). Press seams away from corners. Trim block to 9-3/4" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make 12 Chimney Sweep blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, blue print sashing rectangles, and blue star print sashing squares in nine horizontal rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles.
2. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams toward sashing rows.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue print binding strips.