Mystery Row Quilt: Row 1
Just want to make Row 1 of our 2016 Mystery Row Quilt? Here are the yardage requirements and complete instructions as featured in American Patchwork & Quilting February 2016. Fabrics are from the Hometown Girl Batiks collection by Pat Sloan for Moda Fabrics.
Designer: Pat Sloan
Materials for Row 1
• 1⁄4 yard navy blue batik
• 9×21" piece (fat eighth) red circle batik
• 9×21" piece (fat eighth) aqua circle batik
• 9×21" piece (fat eighth) multicolor circle batik
• 2⁄3 yard cream-and-multicolor circle batik (background)
Finished block in Row 1: 12" square
Finished Row 1: 12 ×60"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Fabrics for Row 1
Cut pieces in the following order.
From navy blue batik, cut:
• 36-2" squares
From red circle batik, cut:
• 24-2" squares
From aqua circle batik, cut:
• 3-6-1⁄2" squares
From multicolor circle batik, cut:
• 2-6-1⁄2" squares
From cream-and-multicolor circle batik, cut:
• 5-2-1⁄2 ×12-1⁄2" rectangles
• 20-2-1⁄2 ×6-1⁄2" rectangles
• 20-3-1⁄2" squares
Assemble Row 1
1. Use a pencil or chalk pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each navy blue batik 2" square and red circle batik 2" square.
2. Align a marked navy blue batik square with each corner of an aqua circle batik 6-1⁄2" square (Diagram 1). Stitch on each marked line; trim seam allowances to 1⁄4". Press navy blue triangles open to make an aqua center unit. Repeat to make three aqua center units total.
3. Using marked red circle batik squares and multicolor circle batik 6-1⁄2" squares, repeat Step 2 to make two multicolor center units (Diagram 2).
4. Align a marked navy blue batik square with one corner of a cream-and-multicolor circle batik 3-1⁄2" square. Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a blue unit A (Diagram 3). Repeat to make 12 total of blue unit A. Using red circle batik instead of navy blue circle batik, repeat to make eight of red unit A.
5. Referring to Diagram 4, add marked navy blue batik squares and marked red circle batik squares to indicated corners of cream-and-multicolor circle batik 2-1⁄2 ×6-1⁄2" rectangles to make six each of blue units B and C and four each of red units B and C.
6. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out four blue A units, two blue B units, and two blue C units around an aqua center unit. Sew together A units in pairs. Press seam open. Then join pieces in each horizontal row; press seams open. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add a cream-and-multicolor circle batik 2-1⁄2 ×12-1⁄2" rectangle to bottom edge to make a blue block. Press seam toward rectangle. The block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three blue blocks total.
7. Using red units and multicolor center units, repeat Step 6 to make two red blocks.
8. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join blue and red blocks to make Row 1; note rotation of red blocks. Press seams in one direction.