The American Patchwork & Quilting Bucket List
Make this year one for the books! Expand your quilting horizons using this list designed to get you to try new things, meet new quilting friends, and accomplish a lot of sewing. Download and print it now! Some of the links below will help you check items off of the list.
Follow along with the staff and our readers by posting photos of your finished projects and progress on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using the hashtag #APQBucketList.
Here's the Bucket List!
1. Use acrylic or paper templates to piece a block.
2. Donate a pillowcase to charity. (Add it to our online counter: AllPeopleQuilt.com/donate.)
4. Change your needle/replace your rotary cutter blade/clean your machine.
5. Identify a problem area in your sewing space and find a solution.
6. Attend a quilt guild meeting in your area.
7. Sew accurately using foundation piecing.
8. For one week, set aside 20 minutes a day to sew.
9. Sew a quilt using only your scraps and stash.
10. Get topsy-turvy with curved piecing.
11. Take a quilting class (in person or online).
12. Read the pattern completely before starting the project.
13. Submit a reader tip to our magazine at firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. Take your handwork to a surprising location.
16. Creatively piece your quilt backing.
17. Go on a quilt retreat. (Find our ultimate quilt retreat packing list here.)
18. Machine-sew a decorative stitch sample.
19. Label a quilt. (Don't forget your name and the date!)
20. Take a picture/journal about each quilt you make this year.
23. Meet your quilting hero (in person or online).
25. Slow down and hand-quilt.
26. Make a bed-size quilt, then snuggle under it.
27. Attend a national quilt show.
28. Read your sewing machine manual.
29. Change out all your quilts for a new season.
30. Visit a new quilt shop (with your best quilting buddies).
32. Explore a quilt museum.
33. Safely wash and store your quilts. (Read our tips on how to wash and care for your quilts here.)
34. Finish a Christmas project before December.
35. Splurge on a quilting tool you've been eyeing.
36. Quilt your own project. (You can do it!)
37. Stay calm when you realize you've run out of bobbin thread while sewing.
38. Add a little (or a lot) of appliqué to a project.
39. Post a photo of a quilt you're proud of on social media.
41. Go on a shop hop.
42. For a week, spend 3 minutes picking up your work space after each sewing session.
43. Teach someone to sew. (You can find beginner-friendly patterns here.)
44. Finish a UFO.
47. Alter a pattern to a size or colorway you like. (See color options in each issue of our magazines for inspiration.)
48. Make a ________________________ quilt. (Fill in with a quilt you want to make.)
49. Make a ________________________ quilt. (Fill in with a quilt you want to make.)
50. Make a ________________________ quilt. (Fill in with a quilt you want to make.)