How to Add Wide, Single-Fold Binding
For a 1"-wide, single-fold binding, follow these steps.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and basting; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Trim batting and backing 3/4" bigger than quilt top on all edges (Diagram 1).
3. Cut and piece 2-1/2×42" binding strips to make one long binding strip. Turn under one raw edge 1⁄4"; press.
4. Align the raw edge of binding strip and quilt top. Using a scant 1⁄4" seam allowance, sew to quilt top, turning corners. At each corner, stop stitching 1/2" from the corner of quilt top (Diagram 2), then fold the binding strip upward to the edge of batting and backing, creating a diagonal fold (Diagram 3). The folded edge of the binding strip should be even with outer edge of the batting and backing. After making the diagonal fold, the binding's folded edge should align with the quilt top's raw edge.
5. Turn folded edge of binding strip over extended edges of batting and backing and hand-stitch to backing.