- 18×21" piece (fat quarter) red print (appliqués)
- 7×15" rectangle green batik (pincushion)
- Lightweight fusible web
- Clear monofilament thread
- 1"-diameter button: red
- 1-1⁄2 cups crushed walnut shells or other pincushion filler
Finished pincushion: 6" square
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the order that follows in each section. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern piece.
To use fusible web for appliquéing the lower petals, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over Petal Pattern. Use a pencil to trace the pattern six times, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web petal shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web petal shape onto wrong side of red print; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines to prepare fusible petals. Peel off paper backings.
From red print, cut:
- 6 of Petal Pattern for fusible appliqué
From green batik, cut:
- 2--6-1⁄2" squares
Appliqué Fusible Petals
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position six prepared fusible petals on a green batik 6-1⁄2" square. Fuse all pieces in place following manufacturer's directions.
2. Using monofilament thread, machine-zigzag-stitch around each petal to make appliquéd foundation.
Prepare Dimensional Petals
From red print, cut:
- 12 of Petal Pattern for dimensional appliqué
1. Layer two red print petal pieces right sides together. Sew around pair using a 1⁄4" seam allowance and leaving one end open (Diagram 1). Trim seam allowance to 1⁄8". Turn right side out to make a dimensional petal; press.
2. Make a small pleat in base of dimensional petal; tack pleat in place (Diagram 2).
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make six dimensional petals total.
Appliqué Dimensional Petals
1. Referring to Diagram 3, sew dimensional petals together, overlapping at bases, to form a dimensional flower. Make several hand stitches on back of flower to secure petals.
2. Referring to photo, opposite, position dimensional flower on appliquéd foundation; secure flower with several hand stitches. Hand-sew red button to center of flower to make pincushion top.
1. With right sides together, sew together pincushion top and remaining green batik 6-1⁄2" square, leaving a 2" opening for turning. Trim corners.
2. Turn right side out. Fill with crushed walnut shells or desired filler. Whipstitch opening closed to complete pincushion.