Merry Embroidered Ornaments
Designer: Robin Kingsley and Bucilla
- Tracing paper
- Unbleached muslin
- Ultra-fine-tip red permanent marker
- Red embroidery floss or #8 pearl cotton
- Medium-weight cardboard
- Lightweight quilt batting
- Fabrics glue
- Red wool felt
- Pinking shears
Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. Trace the pattern onto tracing paper. Cut a piece of muslin 6" larger in both directions than the design. Tape the traced pattern to a sunny window or light box. Tape the muslin over the pattern. Trace the pattern onto the muslin with the red permanent marker. Do not trace the outer ornament-shape lines, dashed lines, or lazy daisy loops.
Embroider the Ornament
1. Secure the fabric in an embroidery hoop and embroider the design using two strands of red floss or a single strand of pearl cotton.
2. Backstitch the long solid design lines and the words. Add lines of running stitches where indicated on the pattern. Make French knots for dots. Make lazy daisy stitches as indicated by a loop on the pattern. When the stitching is complete, press the fabric from the back.
Finish the Ornament
1. Cut a piece of cardboard and quilt batting to the size indicated by the outer ornament-shape lines on the pattern. With the design centered, trim the embroidered muslin piece 1-1/2" larger in both directions than the cardboard shape.
2. Use pinking shears to cut a shape from red felt 1/2" larger in both directions than the cardboard shape.
3. Glue the batting shape to the cardboard. Center the batting side of the cardboard on the back of the embroidered muslin piece. Wrap the muslin edges to the back and tape in place.
4. For the hanging loop, cut a 1/2x4-1/2" strip of red wool felt. Fold the strip in half, and glue the ends at the center top back of the cardboard. Glue the felt to the back of the ornament.