Hint of the Holidays
A subtle palette and understated motifs make this runner table-ready for Christmas dinner and beyond. Fabrics are from the Christmas Naturals collection by Thimbleberries for RJR Fabrics.
Designer: Lynette Jensen of Thimbleberries
1-1⁄8 yards green floral (blocks, outer border)
1⁄3 yard red print (blocks, inner border)
1⁄4 yard gold print (blocks)
3⁄4 yard beige print (blocks)
1⁄2 yard dark green plaid (binding)
1-7⁄8 yards backing fabric
Finished table runner: 26-1⁄2x58-1⁄2"
Finished block: 16" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From green floral, cut:
5-4-1⁄2x42" strips for outer border
6-6-5⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 12 small triangles total
From red print, cut:
4-1-1⁄2x42" strips for inner border
From gold print, cut:
From beige print, cut:
6-9" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 12 large triangles total
From dark green plaid, cut:
5-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. Sew red print 1-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" rectangles to opposite edges of a green floral 4-1⁄2" square (Diagram 1). Press seams toward rectangles. Join red print 1-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" rectangles to remaining edges to make center unit. Press seams as before.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew gold print 1-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" rectangles to opposite edges of center unit. Press seams away from center unit. Join gold print 1-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangles to remaining edges. Press seams as before.
3. Sew green floral small triangles to opposite edges of Step 2 unit (Diagram 3). Press seams toward small triangles. Add green floral small triangles to remaining edges. Press seams as before.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, sew beige print large triangles to opposite edges of Step 3 unit. Press seams toward large triangles. Add beige print large triangles to remaining edges to make a block. Press seams as before. Center and trim block to 16-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make three blocks total.
Assemble Table Runner Top
1. Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, sew together blocks in a row to make table runner center. Press seams open. The table runner center should be 16-1⁄2x48-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
2. Cut and piece red print 1-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2-1-1⁄2x50-1⁄2" inner border strips
2-1-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" inner border strips
3. Join short inner border strips to short edges of table runner center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
4. Cut and piece green floral 4-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2-4-1⁄2x58-1⁄2" outer border strips
2-4-1⁄2x18-1⁄2" outer border strips
5. Join short outer border strips to short edges of table runner center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete table runner top. Press all seams toward outer border.
Finish Table Runner
1. Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind with dark green plaid binding strips.