Spread your love this holiday season with heart shapes that brighten a bowl, your tree, and gift packages. Iron-on fabric scraps and a few embroidery stitches make the ornaments easy to craft in multiples.
Materials to Make Three Ornaments
Designer: Lina Nikols
1/8 yard linen (ornament fronts)
1/8 yard red polka dot (ornament backs, appliqués)
Embroidery floss: red, white, and ecru
Finished ornaments: approximately 4x5"
Measurements include 1/2" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for patterns.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns B, C, D, E, and F. Use a pencil to trace each pattern once, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong side of red polka-dot fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From linen, cut:
3 of Pattern A
From red polka dot, cut:
3 of Pattern A
1 each of patterns B, C, D, E, and F
Assemble Star Ornament
1. Center red polka dot B star on one linen A heart. Fuse in place following manufacturer's instructions.
2. Using two strands of white embroidery floss, blanket-stitch along the outside of the star.
3. With right sides together and using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew the linen Pattern A to the red polka-dot Pattern A. Leave 2" opening for turning along one straight edge. Clip across bottom point of heart and clip almost to seam line at top center in order to turn right side out.
4. Stuff heart with fiberfill and hand-sew closed.
Assemble Red Bird Ornament
1. Center red polka dot C bird on one linen A heart. Fuse in place.
2. Using two strands of red embroidery floss, use a running stitch to sew the bird's legs and feet.
3. Repeat steps 3 and 4 of Assemble Heart Ornament to make red bird ornament.
Assemble Ecru Bird Ornament
1. Referring to photo, position red polka dot D, E, and F shapes on one linen A heart. Fuse in place.
2. Using two strands of red embroidery floss, use a running stitch to sew the bird's body, beak, legs, and feet. Make a French knot for an eye.
3. Repeat steps 3 and 4 of Assemble Heart Ornament to make ecru bird ornament.
Using six strands of ecru floss, thread the floss through a small section of the top of the ornament. Tie a knot.