Designer: Pat Sloan
- 1⁄3 yard of black print (appliqué foundation)
- 1⁄8 yard of red print (appliqué foundation and appliqués)
- Scraps of assorted green, red, tan, cream, gold, and brown prints, and stripes (appliqués)
- 2⁄3 yard of green print (backing and binding)
- 18x31" of quilt batting
- 25"-length of jumbo burgundy rickrack
- Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt top: 25x12"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. Click "Download this Project" above for the patterns.To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay the fusible web, paper side up, over the patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each piece roughly 1⁄4" outside the traced lines. To reduce bulk in the stars, cut 1⁄4" inside the traced lines and discard the centers.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press the fusible-web shapes onto the backs of the designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out the fabric shapes on the drawn lines to make the appliqué pieces. Peel off the paper backings.
From black print, cut:
- 1--21-1⁄2x9-1⁄2" strip
- 2--2-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strips
From red print, cut:
- 1--21-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" strip
- 10 of Pattern H
From assorted green, red, tan, and cream prints and stripes, cut:
- 3 each of patterns A, B, C, and D
- 1 of Pattern F
From gold print scrap, cut:
- 3 of Pattern G
From brown print scrap, cut:
- 1 of Pattern E
From green print, cut:
- 2--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
- 1--18x31" rectangle
Assemble and Appliqué Quilt Top
1. Aligning long edges, sew together the black print 21-1⁄2x9-1⁄2" strip and the red print 21-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" strip to make a rectangle unit. Press the seam allowance toward the red print strip.
2. Sew the black print 2-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strips to the side edges of the rectangle unit to make the appliqué foundation. Press the seam allowances toward the black print strips. The pieced appliqué foundation should measure 25-1⁄2x12-1⁄2", including the seam allowances.
3. Cut the rickrack into two 12-1⁄2" lengths. Position a 12-1⁄2" length over each Step 2 seam allowance and machine-straight-stitch down the center of the rickrack pieces.
4. Referring to the Appliqué Placement Diagram, position the appliqué pieces on the appliqué foundation. Fuse the pieces in place. Using matching threads, machine-blanket-stitch around the edges of each piece, beginning with the bottom layer and working toward the top, to complete the quilt top.
1. Layer the quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Using matching thread, designer Pat Sloan machine-quilted a wavy design through the red print foundation strip and an allover design in the black print strip. She outline-stitched around the appliqué pieces and machine-quilted a primitive star in the center of each star appliqué.
3. Use the green print 2-1⁄2x42" strips to bind the quilt. Pat used green thread to machine-blanket-stitch the binding of her finished quilt.