Comfort and Joy Stocking Pillows
Tuck tiny treats or a few Christmas greens in the tops of the stockings embellishing these fresh-for-the-season pillows.
Materials for Both Pillows
Designer: Ann Sutton
1⁄2 yard of heavyweight yellow linen for pillow cover
1⁄2 yard of heavyweight sage green linen for pillow cover
4-12" squares of cream felt for stockings and cuffs
1-12" square of burgundy felt for cuff trims
4-8" squares of assorted green felt for appliqué shapes
3-1⁄2 yards of burgundy covered cording
2-14"-square pillow forms
Finished pillow: 14" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. Click on "Download this Project" above for the patterns.
From yellow linen, cut:
From sage green linen, cut:
From cream felt, cut:
4 of Pattern A
4 of Pattern B
From burgundy felt, cut:
4 of Pattern C
From assorted green felt, cut:
5 of Pattern E
3 of Pattern D
From covered cording, cut:
1. Sew together the cream felt A pieces in pairs; use a 1⁄2" seam allowance, leave the top edges open, and do not turn.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a burgundy felt C piece and a cream felt B piece, overlapping the long raw edges by 1⁄4". Stitch twice, 1⁄4" from the overlapped edge and just next to the overlapped edge, to make a cuff unit. Repeat with the remaining cream B and burgundy C pieces to make a total of four cuff units.
3. Referring to Diagram 2 and with right sides together, layer two cuff units and sew along the short edges with a 1⁄2" seam allowance to make a stocking cuff. Turn right side out. Repeat with the remaining cuff units to make a second stocking cuff.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, place a stocking cuff inside a stocking and pin in place. The right side of the cuff should be facing the wrong side of the stocking. Using a 1⁄4" seam allowance, stitch together around the top edge of the stocking. Fold the cuff over the outside of stocking to make a cuffed stocking. Repeat to make a second cuffed stocking.
5. Referring to the photograph on page 1 for placement, pin the three green D shapes on a stocking cuff. Sew a single button at the center of each D snowflake to attach the shapes.
6. Referring to the photograph on page 1 for placement, pin the five green E shapes on the remaining stocking cuff. Sew a pair of buttons at the center of each E pine tree to attach the shapes.
1. Referring to Diagram 4, pin the completed snowflake stocking to the center of a yellow linen 14-1⁄2" square. Beginning and ending 1" beneath the stocking cuff, stitch through the stocking and back cuff layers following the original seam line. Note: The front cuff is not stitched down.
2. Referring to Diagram 5, edgestitch along the top back edge of the stocking cuff, leaving the top front edge free, to complete the pillow front.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to sew the completed pine tree stocking to the center of a sage green 14-1⁄2" square to complete a second pillow front.
4. Aligning raw edges, sew a length of burgundy covered cording to each pillow front.
5. Sew each pillow front to a matching 14-1⁄2" square, leaving a 5" opening along a side. Turn right side out through the opening to make each pillow cover.
6. Insert pillow forms in the pillow covers and hand-stitch the openings closed to complete the pillows.