Christmas Cabin Table Runner
Create five Courthouse Steps blocks in cheery holiday colors for a special seasonal table runner.
Designer: Kat Tichenor
8" square mottled dark gold (block centers)
7⁄8 yard mottled ivory-and-gold (blocks)
2⁄3 yard red, green, and gold print (blocks)
1⁄4 yard each of mottled red, mottled green, and mottled gold (border)
1⁄2 yard mottled red-and-gold (binding)
1-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
Finished table runner: 17-1⁄2x65-1⁄2"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of useable fabric width. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From mottled dark gold, cut:
5-2-1⁄2" squares for block centers
From mottled ivory-and-gold, cut:
10-1-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangles for position 9
10-1-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangles for position 7
10-1-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" rectangles for position 5
10-1-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" rectangles for position 3
10-1-1⁄2x2-1⁄2" rectangles for position 1
From red, green, and gold print, cut:
10-1-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" rectangles for position 10
10-1-1⁄2x10-1⁄2" rectangles for position 8
10-1-1⁄2x8-1⁄2" rectangles for position 6
10-1-1⁄2x6-1⁄2" rectangles for position 4
10-1-1⁄2x4-1⁄2" rectangles for position 2
From mottled red, cut:
2-3x17-1⁄2" border strips
2-3x15-1⁄2" rectangles for border
From mottled green, cut:
3-3x15-1⁄2" rectangles for border
From mottled gold, cut:
3-3x15-1⁄2" rectangles for border
From mottled red-and-gold, cut:
5-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together a mottled dark gold 2-1⁄2" square and two mottled ivory-and-gold position 1 rectangles. Press seams toward rectangles.
2. Add red, green, and gold print position 2 rectangles to remaining edges of mottled dark gold square (Diagram 2). Press seams toward rectangles.
3. Join mottled ivory-and-gold position 3 rectangles to opposite edges of Step 2 unit (Diagram 3); press seams as before. Continue in the same manner, adding pairs of rectangles in numerical sequence, to make a Courthouse Steps block (Diagram 4). The block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make five Courthouse Steps blocks total.
Assemble Table Runner Center
Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in a vertical row, rotating alternate blocks as shown. Join blocks to make table runner center. Press seams in one direction. The table runner center should be 12-1⁄2x60-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, sew together short edges of four mottled red, green, and gold 3x15-1⁄2" rectangles to make a pieced border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 3x60-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second pieced border strip.
2. Join pieced border strips to long edges of table runner center. Sew mottled red 3x17-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete table runner top. Press all seams toward border.
Finish Table Runner
1. Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired. The machine-quilter used gold metallic thread and a decorative blanket stitch around the rectangles in the blocks and border of the table runner.
2. Bind with mottled red-and-gold binding strips. After the binding was stitched down, a final row of blanket stitching was added between the border and the binding to complete the table runner.