Rain Shower Pincushion
Designer: Alison Gamm
- 2 -- 5-1/2" squares of teal fabric
- 1 -- 5" square of light blue fabric
- 1 -- 3" square of dark blue fabric
- 1 -- 4x5" rectangle of lightweight fusible web
- Polyester fiberfill
Finished pincushion: 5" square
Prepare Cloud and Raindrop Appliqué:
Click on "Download this Pattern" above for the cloud and raindrop pattern.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over cloud and raindrop pattern. Use a pencil or pen to trace the patterns, leaving 1/2" between cloud and raindrop patterns.
2. Cut apart the fusible web cloud shape and the raindrops. Following manufacturer's instructions, press the fusible web cloud shape onto 5" square light blue fabric and the fusible web raindrop shapes onto 3" square dark blue fabric.
3. Let cool, then cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines.
Appliqué the Pincushion:
1. Peel off the paper backing of cloud and raindrop shapes.
2. Arrange cloud and raindrop shapes on one teal 5-1/2" square. Fuse appliqués in place following the manufacturer's directions; let cool.
3. Using a blanket-stitch on your machine sew around cloud and raindrop shapes with matching or contrasting thread (we used blue).
Assemble the Pincushion:
1. Layer appliquéd square and remaining teal print 5-1/2" square with right sides together; pin.
2. Beginning in the middle of one edge, sew together pieces with a 1/4" seam. Pivot at each corner. Leave a 1-1/2" opening for turning along one edge.
3. Turn right side out. Use the eraser end of a pencil to push out corners; press. Use a pencil to gently push small tufts of fiberfill through the 1-1/2" opening. Using a needle and thread to match fabric, hand-sew opening closed to complete heart pincushion.