On Pins & Needles Pincushion
Designer: Heather Bailey
- 1/8 yard print No. 1 (top and bottom)
- 1/8 yard print No. 2 (sides)
- 1 yard 1/8"- to 3/8"- wide ribbon
- 2-3/4"-diameter buttons
- Polyester fiberfill
- Dollmaker's needle
- Water-soluble marking pen
Finished pincushion: 3-3/4x3-3/4x1"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on Download this Project to download full-size pattern pieces.
Make templates for patterns A and B. Be sure to transfer the dots (matching points) marked on the patterns to the templates, then to the fabric pieces. Fold print No. 2 in half to cut Pattern B.
From print No. 1, cut:
- 2 of Pattern A
From print No. 2, cut:
- 1 of Pattern B
1. Using sharp scissors, at marked dots on B strip clip halfway into seam allowances. Take care not to cut into or beyond seam lines.
2. Fold B piece in half widthwise and sew together open short ends (Diagram 1). Press seam open.
3. Matching dots, sew one long edge of the B piece to an A square (Diagram 2).
4. Matching dots, join remaining A square to unsewn edge of the B piece, leaving a 1-1/2" opening for turning along one side (Diagram 3).
5. Turn pincushion cover right side out. Stuff firmly with polyester fiberfill. Hand-sew opening closed.
1. Thread dollmaker's needle with ribbon. Stitch down through center of pincushion at mark, leaving a 4"-long tail of ribbon on top of pincushion. Wrap ribbon up over one side of pincushion and stitch down again through center of pincushion (Diagram 4). Pull ribbon snug against pincushion side, being careful not to shorten ribbon tail. Repeat with remaining sides (Diagram 5).
2. Trim ribbon ends to 1/2". Fold each end in half, and whipstitch to pincushion.
3. Center one button on pincushion top over ribbon ends and a second at bottom center. Taking long stitches through the center of pincushion, sew buttons firmly in place.