Bright Bloom Pincushion
Inspired by: Bright Blooms from designer Kim Schaefer
Project tester: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 5" square each red, yellow, orange, and green batik (appliqué)
- 1/4 yard blue batik (pincushion)
- Lightweight iron-on fusible web
- Perle cotton or embroidery floss (optional)
- Polyester fiberfill
Finished size: 6×7×2"
Finished block: 6×7"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for the patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1) Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern once, leaving 1/4" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/8" outside traced lines.
2) Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto designated fabric; let cool. Cut out shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From red batik, cut:
- 1 of Pattern A
From yellow batik, cut:
- 1 of Pattern B
From orange batik, cut:
- 1 of Pattern C
From green batik, cut:
- 1 each of patterns D, E, and F
From blue batik, cut:
- 2-6-1/2×7-1/2" rectangles
- 2-2 ×8" rectangles
- 2-2 ×7" rectangles
Appliqué and Embroider Flower Block
To embellish the flower block, project tester Martha Gamm used a variety of hand-embroidery stitches and decorative machine stitches.
1) Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position prepared appliqué pieces on a blue batik 6-1/2×7-1/2" rectangle, layering pieces as shown. Fuse pieces in place following manufacturer's instructions.
2) Stitch appliqué pieces in place; embellish using machine and/or hand stitches. Experiment with your own stitches or, to duplicate the project as shown, trace the Full-Size Embroidery Diagram in the downloadable PDF above.
3) Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, mark a small dot in each corner of appliquéd rectangle a scant 1/4" from edges.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) On wrong side of blue batik 2 ×8" and 2 ×7" rectangles, mark a small dot in each corner 1/4" from edges (Diagram 1). Use sharp scissors to clip into seam allowance of each rectangle at marked dots.
2) Sew together Step 1 rectangles in a row. Press seams open to make a side unit. The side unit should be 2 ×28-1/2" including seam allowances.
3) Fold side unit in half crosswise. Sew short ends together (Diagram 2). Press seam open.
4) Lay Step 3 unit atop appliquéd rectangle; match dots along one edge (Diagram 3). Sew between dots, beginning and ending with a backstitch. Repeat to join remaining edges.
5) On wrong side of remaining blue batik 6-1/2×7-1/2" rectangle, mark a dot in each corner 1/4" from edges.
6) Lay marked blue batik 6-1/2×7-1/2" rectangle atop Step 4 unit; match dots along one edge (Diagram 4). Sew between dots, beginning and ending with a backstitch. Repeat with remaining edges, leaving a 2" opening in one edge, to make pincushion cover.
7) Turn pincushion cover right side out. Push polyester fiberfill through opening to firmly stuff cover. Hand-sew opening closed to complete pincushion.