Show the Love Pillowcase
Two simple blocks in red and pink fabrics form a pillowcase band that looks more complex than it is. Fabrics are from the Prim collection by Lori Holt for Riley Blake Designs.
Inspired by: Winter Frost from designer Rebecca Lidstrom of
Project tester: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 9×21 piece (fat eighth) red print (Hourglass blocks)
- 1/4 yard solid red (hourglass and Economy blocks)
- 10" square solid white (Economy blocks)
- 3/8 yard pink print (pillowcase band)
- 1-1/4 yards red polka dot print (pillowcase body)
Finished size: 30-3/4 ×21" (fits a standard-size bed pillow)
Finished blocks: 6" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From red print, cut:
- 2—7-1/4" squares
From solid red, cut:
- 2—7-1/4" squares
- 6—4-1/2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 12 large triangles total
From solid white, cut:
- 6—3-1/4" squares, cutting each in half diagonally to make 12 small triangles total
From pink print, cut:
- 1—6-1/2 ×42-1/2" rectangle
- 3—3-1/2" squares
From red polka dot print, cut:
- 1—26×43" rectangle
Assemble Hourglass Blocks
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each red print 7-1/4" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Layer a marked red print square atop a solid red 7-1/4" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line. Press open to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 6-7/8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four triangle-squares total.
3) Mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line on wrong side of two triangle-squares.
4) Layer a marked triangle-square atop an unmarked triangle-square with each red print triangle facing a solid red triangle (Diagram 2). Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line. Cut pair apart on drawn line. Press open to make two hourglass blocks. Each block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat with remaining triangle-squares to make four hourglass blocks total.
Assemble Economy Blocks
1) Referring to Diagram 3, center solid white small triangles on opposite edges of a pink print 3-1/2" square; sew together. Add solid white small triangles to remaining edges to make a block center (Diagram 4). Trim block center 1/4" from each pink square corner. Block center should be 4-3/4" square including seam allowances.
2) In the same manner, add two solid red large triangles to trimmed block center (Diagram 5). Add two solid red large triangles to remaining edges (Diagram 6) to make an Economy block. Trim block to 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make three Economy blocks total.
1) Referring to Band Assembly Diagram, alternate blocks in a row. Sew blocks together, pressing seams open, to make a pieced row. The row should be 6-1/2 ×42-1/2" including seam allowances.
2) Join pieced row to pink print 6-1/2 ×42-1/2" rectangle (Band Assembly Diagram).
3) Join short ends of Step 2 unit to make a loop. Press seam open. Fold loop in half with wrong side inside; press to make pillowcase band.
1) Fold red polka dot print 26×43" rectangle in half to form a 26×21-1/2" rectangle. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew together long edges and a set of short edges to make pillowcase body. Turn right side out; press flat.
2) Matching raw edges and seams, slide pillowcase band over pillowcase body with pieced side of band facing right side of pillowcase body (Diagram 7); pin. Sew together band and pillowcase body, using 1/2" seam allowance.
3) Press pillowcase band open, pressing seam allowances toward pillowcase body. Topstitch 1/8" from band edge to secure seam allowance and complete pillowcase (Diagram 8).