Premade Ruffle Pillow
Sew a simple, yet elegant, pillow using 2"-wide premade ruffles from Michael Miller Fabrics.
Inspired by Simple Frills from designers Joanie Holton and Melanie Greseth of Tailormade by Design
Project tester: Jill Abeloe Mead
1 yard white tone-on-tone (pillow front and back)
5 yards 2"-wide ruffle trim: solid white
21"-long 1-1/2"-wide grosgrain ribbon: gray polka dot
20"-square pillow form
Water-soluble marking pen
Finished pillow: 20" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/2" seam allowances unless otherwise stated. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From white tone-on-tone, cut:
From solid white ruffle trim, cut:
Assemble Pillow Top
1. Using water-soluble marking pen, draw a line 2" from right-hand edge of white tone-on-tone 21" square (Diagram 1). Working to the left of the first line, draw seven more parallel lines, each 5/8" apart.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, align raw edge of one solid white ruffle strip with first line, matching short edges of strip with outer edges of square. Zigzag-stitch strip in place 3/8" from gathered edge.
3. Repeat Step 2 to add one solid white ruffle strip to each drawn line.
4. Pin 21"-long gray polka dot grosgrain ribbon atop zigzag stitches on last ruffle added, covering raw edge (Diagram 3). Edgestitch ribbon to make pillow top.
1. Fold a long edge of a white tone-on-tone 13x21" rectangle under 1/4". Turn under 1/4" again; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge to make a backing rectangle. Repeat with remaining white tone-on-tone 13x21" rectangle.
2. Overlap hemmed edges of backing rectangles by about 4" to make a 21" square (Diagram 4). Baste across overlapped edges to make a pillow back.
3. With right sides together, layer pillow top and pillow back, making certain short edges of ruffle strips are within seam lines. Fold back and pin right-most ruffle so its long right-hand edge is not caught in the seam; baste. Using 1/2" seams, sew around outer edges to make pillow cover. Turn pillow cover right side out through opening in back. Insert pillow form through opening to complete pillow.