Pieced Floor Cushion
Based on an original project by Mabeth Oxenreider
- 2-7/8 yards total of assorted decorator fabrics in brown, blue, cream, and tan for blocks
- 1-1/4 yards of fleece
- 37x50" of extra-loft batting
- 23x23x5" piece of high-density foam
- Heavy-duty spray adhesive
- Upholstery or carpet thread
- Ten 1"-diameter buttons to cover
Finished floor cushion: 24x24x6"
Quantities are for 52/54"-wide fabrics. Unless otherwise specified, all measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From assorted decorator fabrics, cut:
- 4--10-1/2" squares
- 5--8-1/2" squares
- 5--6-1/2" squares
- 5--5-1/2x12-1/2" rectangles
- 10--5-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles
- 8--4-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles
- 8--3-1/2x7-1/2" rectangles
- 16--3-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles
- 10--3-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles
- 18--3-1/2" squares
- 4--2-1/2x10-1/2" rectangles
- 5--2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles
- 5--2-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles
- 5--2-1/2x5-1/2" rectangles
From fleece, cut:
- 2--7x49" rectangles
- 2--25" squares
From extra-loft batting, cut:
- 2--23" squares
- 4--5x23" rectangles
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out the appropriate assorted decorator fabric pieces in sections. Sew together pieces in each section. Press seams toward darker print. Then join sections to make a Block A. Press seams in one direction. Block A should be 15-1/2x20-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make five total of Block A.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out the appropriate assorted decorator fabric pieces in sections. Sew together pieces in each section. Press seams toward darker print. Then join sections to make a Block B. Press seams in one direction. Block B should be 15-1/2x20-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four total of Block B.
Assemble Cushion Pieces
1. Referring to Cutting Diagram, lay out the nine pieced blocks in three rows, alternating blocks A and B. Note that in the featured project, the middle row was flipped to break up the repetition of the blocks.
2. Sew together the blocks in each row. Press the seam allowances toward the B blocks. Then join the rows to make the pieced fabric. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pieced fabric should measure 60-1/2x45-1/2", including the seam allowances
3. Referring to the Cutting Diagram, cut the pieced fabric to make the following:
- 2--7x49" rectangles for cushion gusset
- 2--25" squares for cushion top and bottom
4. Pair each cushion gusset, top, and bottom piece with corresponding-size fleece pieces. Baste each pair together, handling them gently to avoid fraying.
Use heavy-duty spray adhesive to adhere the extra-loft batting 23" squares to the top and bottom of the high-density foam 23" square. Then adhere the extra-loft batting 5x23" rectangles around the sides of the high-density foam 23" square.
Assemble the Cushion
1. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew the fleece-lined gusset rectangles together along the short edges; finger-press the seams open.
2. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew one long edge of the pieced gusset to the fleece-lined cushion top, clipping the corners as necessary. Repeat to sew the remaining long edge of the pieced gusset to the fleece-lined cushion bottom, leaving one side open, to make the cushion cover. Turn the cushion cover right side out.
3. Insert the batting-covered high-density foam square into the cushion cover. Hand-sew the opening closed. Note: For easier insertion into the cushion cover, wrap the foam square in a large plastic bag, slip it in, and tear off the plastic bag to remove.
4. Flatten the edge along each side seam by pushing the batting-covered foam square away from the seam; pin. To create tufted edges, use a long running stitch and upholstery or carpet thread to hand-sew through both layers of each adjacent side edge, removing the pins as you sew.
5. Using a fabric-marking pen, make matching marks for the placement of five buttons on both sides of the cushion. Cover the buttons with scraps of assorted decorator fabrics. Using upholstery thread and a long needle, hand-sew the buttons on the cushion at each mark to complete the floor cushion.