Intertwined Pillow Cover
INSPIRED BY: Batik Lattice from designer Monique Jacobs
PROJECT TESTER: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/4 yard solid white (blocks)
- 1/4 yard each aqua print and teal print (blocks)
- 5⁄8 yard orange print (pillow top, pillow back)
- 24"-square batting
- 24"-square muslin
- 20"-square pillow form
Finished pillow: 20" square
Finished block: 8" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From solid white, cut:
- 8-2-1/2×4-1/2" rectangles
- 16-2-1/2" squares
From each aqua print and teal print, cut:
- 4-2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles
- 4-2-1/2" squares
From orange print, cut:
- 2-12-3/4×20-1/2" rectangles
- 2-2-1/2×20-1/2" strips
- 2-2-1/2×16-1/2" strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out the following pieces in four vertical rows:
- solid white: two 2-1/2×4-1/2" rectangles and four 2-1/2" squares
- aqua print: one 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangle and one 2-1/2" square
- teal print: one 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangle and one 2-1/2" square
2. Sew together Step 1 pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block (Diagram 1). The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four blocks total (Diagram 2).
Assemble Pillow Top
1. Referring to Diagram 3 for block orientation, sew together blocks in pairs. Join pairs to make pillow top center. The pillow top center should be 16-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Referring to Pillow Top Assembly Diagram, sew orange print 2-1/2×16-1/2" strips to opposite edges of pillow top center. Join orange print 2-1/2×20-1/2" strips to remaining edges to make the pillow top. The pillow top should be 20-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Layer pillow top, batting, and muslin squares; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Trim batting and muslin even with pillow top edges.
3. Turn one long edge of each orange print 12-3/4×20-1/2" rectangle under 1/4"; press. Turn under 1/4" again and stitch in place to make hemmed pillow back pieces. Each hemmed pillow back piece should be 12-1/4×20-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Referring to Pillow Back Assembly Diagram, overlap hemmed edges of pillow back pieces by 4" to make a 20-1/2" square. Stitch across overlaps to make pillow back.
5. Layer pillow top and pillow back with right sides together. Stitch 1/4" from outer edges to make pillow cover. Turn right side out through opening in pillow back; press.
6. Insert pillow form in pillow cover to complete the pillow.