You’ll have sweet dreams on a pillowcase made with basic piecing and cute novelty prints. Fabrics are from the Believe in Magic collection by Sandra Will for Northcott.
Inspired by: Keep On Turning from designer Jeni Baker of In Color Order
Project tester: Martha Gamm
Finished pillowcase: 30-3/4×21" (fits a standard-size bed pillow)
Finished block: 6" square
- 1-1/4 yards white novelty print (pillowcase band and body)
- 1/8 yard each black novelty print and pink star print (pillowcase band)
- 10" square pink stripe (pillowcase band)
- 9×21" piece (fat eighth) black star print (pillowcase band)
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances for piecing blocks and 1/2" seam allowances for pillowcase construction. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut white novelty print pieces parallel to the selvage.
From white novelty print, cut:
- 1—26 ×43" rectangle
- 1—6-1/2 ×42-1/2" strip
- 4—3-1/2" squares
From black novelty print, cut:
- 7—3-1/2" squares
From pink stripe, cut:
- 3—3-1/2" squares
From pink star print, cut:
- 8—2×6-1/2" rectangles
From black star print, cut:
- 6—2×6-1/2 " rectangles
1) Referring to Diagram 1, sew together one white novelty print 3-1/2" square and one black novelty print 3-1/2" square to make a white center unit. The center unit should be 3-1/2×6-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four white center units total.
2) Repeat Step 1 using remaining black novelty print 3-1/2" squares and pink stripe 3-1/2" squares to make three pink center units total.
3) Sew together one white center unit and two pink star print 2 ×6-1/2" rectangles to make a white block. The block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances (Diagram 2). Repeat to make four white blocks total.
4) Repeat Step 3 using pink center units and black star print 2 ×6-1/2" rectangles to make three black blocks.
5) Referring to Band Assembly Diagram, alternate white and black blocks in a row. Sew blocks together, pressing seams toward white blocks, to make a pieced row. The row should be 6-1/2×42-1/2" including seam allowances.
6) Join pieced row to white novelty print 6-1/2×42-1/2" rectangle (Band Assembly Diagram).
7) Join short ends of Step 6 unit to make a loop. Press seam open. Fold loop in half with wrong side inside; press to make pillowcase band.
1) Fold white novelty print 26×43" rectangle in half to form a 26×21-1/2" rectangle. Using a 1/2" seam allowance, sew together long edges and a set of short edges to make pillowcase body. Turn right side out; press flat.
2) Matching raw edges and seams, slide pillowcase band over pillowcase body with pieced side of band facing right side of pillowcase body (Diagram 3); pin. Sew together band and pillowcase body.
3) Press pillowcase band open, pressing seam allowances toward pillowcase body. Topstitch 1/8" from band edge to secure seam allowance and complete pillowcase (Diagram 4).