By the Sea Pillow
Inspired by: Breath of Fresh Air from designer Stephanie Luiere
Project tester: Sarah Huechteman
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/4 yard blue batik (pillow top)
- 15"-square solid white (pillow top)
- 11"-square each dark purple batik and light purple batik (pillow top)
- 3/8 yard medium purple batik (pillow top, pillow back)
- 16"-square pillow form
Finished size: 16" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From blue batik, cut:
- 8—3-1/2" squares
From solid white, cut:
- 4—6-1/2" squares
From dark purple batik, cut:
- 4—3-1/2" squares
From light purple batik, cut:
- 4—3-1/2" squares
From medium purple batik, cut:
- 2—10-3/4 ×16-1/2" rectangles
- 2—1×16-1/2" strips
- 2—1×15-1/2" strips
- 1—3-1/2" square
Assemble Pillow Top
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each blue batik 3-1/2" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Align a marked blue batik square with top left-hand corner of a solid white 6-1/2" square (Diagram 1; note direction of marked line). Sew on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle. Add a second marked blue batik square to bottom right-hand corner of unit to make a corner unit (Diagram 1). The unit still should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four corner units total.
3) Sew together one dark purple batik 3-1/2" square and one light purple batik 3-1/2" square to make a center unit (Diagram 2). The unit should be 3-1/2 ×6-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four center units total.
4) Referring to Diagram 3, lay out corner units, center units, and medium purple batik 3-1/2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 15-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5) Referring to Pillow Top Assembly Diagram, sew medium purple batik 1×15-1/2" strips to opposite edges of block. Join medium purple batik 1×16-1/2" strips to remaining edges to make the pillow top. The pillow top should be 16-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1) Turn one long edge of each medium purple batik 10-3/4 ×16-1/2" rectangle under 1/4"; press. Turn under 1/4" again and stitch in place to hem pillow back pieces. Each pillow back piece should be 10-1/4 ×16-1/2" including seam allowances.
2) Referring to Pillow Back Assembly Diagram, overlap hemmed edges of pillow back pieces by 4" to make a 16-1/2" square. Stitch across overlaps to make pillow back.
3) Layer pillow top and pillow back with right sides together. Stitch 1/4" from outer edges to make pillow cover. Turn right side out through opening in pillow back; press.
4) Insert pillow form in pillow cover to complete the pillow.