Band Together Pillow
Stitch up a pillow fast using coordinated prints that match your home decor. Fabrics are from the Canvas and Canvas Spot On collections by Deborah Edwards for Northcott.
INSPIRED BY: Bands of Color from designers Jo Kramer and Kelli Hanken of Jo's Country Junction
PROJECT TESTER: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/2 yard assorted prints (pillow top)
- 2/3 yard gray print (pillow top and back)
- 1/3 yard polka dot (binding)
- 24"-square batting
- 24"-square muslin
- 20"-square pillow form
Finished size: 20" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints, cut:
- 4-3-1/2" squares
- Enough 3-1/2"-wide rectangles in lengths ranging from 1-1/2" to 4-1/2" to equal at least 60" in length
From gray print, cut:
- 2-12-3/4 ×20-1/2" rectangles
- 2-2-1/2 ×20-1/2" strips
- 2-2-1/2×16-1/2" strips
- 2-2-1/2×10-1/2" rectangles
- 2-2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles
From polka dot, cut:
- 3-2-1/2×42" binding strips
Assemble Pillow Top
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Referring to Diagram 1, sew assorted print 3-1/2" squares in pairs. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2) Sew gray print 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of Four-Patch unit (Diagram 2). Join gray print 2-1/2×10-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges. The unit now should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3) Referring to Diagram 3, sew together enough assorted print 3-1/2"-wide rectangles to make a pieced strip that is at least 10-1/2" long; if necessary, trim to 3-1/2×10-1/2". Repeat to make a second 3-1/2×10-1/2" pieced strip and two 3-1/2 ×16-1/2" pieced strips.
4) Referring to Diagram 4, sew 3-1/2×10-1/2" pieced strips to opposite edges of Step 2 unit. Join 3-1/2×16-1/2" pieced strips to remaining edges. The unit now should be 16-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5) Referring to Pillow Top Assembly Diagram, sew gray print 2-1/2×16-1/2" strips to opposite edges of Step 4 unit. Join gray print 2-1/2×20-1/2" strips to remaining edges to make the pillow top. The pillow top should be 20-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1) Layer pillow top, batting, and muslin square; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Trim batting and muslin even with pillow top edges.
3) Turn one long edge of each gray print 12-3/4×20-1/2" rectangle under 1/4"; press. Turn under 1/4" again and stitch in place to make hemmed pillow back pieces. Each hemmed pillow back piece should be 12-1/4× 20-1/2" including seam allowances.
4) Referring to Pillow Back Assembly Diagram, overlap hemmed edges of pillow back pieces by 4" to make a 20-1/2" square. Stitch across overlaps to make pillow back.
5) Layer pillow top and pillow back with wrong sides together. Stitch a scant 1/4" from outer edges to make pillow cover.
6) Bind pillow cover with polka dot binding strips. Insert pillow form through opening to complete pillow.