2 For the Road
Designer: Lindsay Conner
Materials for Neck Pillow
- 1/2 yard yellow plush fabric
- Pellon Neck Rest pillow form (or polyester fiberfill for stuffing)
Materials for Reversible Travel Shawl
- 2/3 yard each of solid gray plush fabric and gray-and-white floral plush fabric
Finished pillow: 17×12-1/2"
Finished shawl: 20×59"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 60" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1/2" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for patterns A and B. To make paper templates, trace desired pattern onto paper and cut out. Transfer notes on pattern to paper templates. The notes include additional instructions for placing and cutting directional fabrics. Pin templates to plush fabrics and cut around edges.
From yellow plush, cut:
- 1 each of patterns A and B
From each solid gray plush and gray-and-white floral plush, cut:
- 1-21×60" rectangle
1) Turn under 3/4" along straight edge of one half of the yellow plush A piece; pin (Diagram 1). Stitch 1/4" from fold. Sew a second line 1/4" from just-stitched line to make a pillow back unit. Repeat with remaining half of yellow plush A piece to make a second pillow back unit.
2) Lay yellow plush B piece faceup on a flat surface. Place a pillow back unit facedown on one side, aligning curves; pin in place (Diagram 2). Repeat with remaining pillow back unit on opposite side, slightly overlapping stitched edges for pillow back opening.
3) Stitch around all edges to make a pillow cover (Diagram 2). Turn right side out. Insert pillow form through opening in back to complete pillow.
1) Layer solid gray plush and gray-and-white floral plush 21×60" rectangles with right sides together; pin. Sew together rectangles, leaving a 6" opening along one long edge for turning (Diagram 3).
2) Clip corners to reduce bulk (Diagram 4). Turn right side out through opening. Use the eraser end of a pencil or a chopstick to gently push out corners.
3) Hand-stitch opening closed to complete shawl.