Winter Coffee Cozies
Keep your hands cool and your drink warm this winter with a cute fabric coffee cozy made from your favorite winter fabrics. Fabrics are from the Mount Snow collection from Dear Stella.
Designer: Alison Gamm
Materials for One Cozy
- 6x12" fabric rectangle for cozy exterior
- 6x12" fabric rectangle for cozy liner
- 6x12" rectangle batting
- Cozy pattern (see download button below)
- Elastic hair tie
Finished cozy: 3 -1⁄2x10 "
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Click on "Download this Pattern" above for pattern piece.
From each fabric rectangle and batting rectangle, cut:
- 1 of Cozy Pattern
1. With right sides together, layer fabric cozy pieces. Place elastic hair tie between layers on one end. Use a pin or piece of tape to hold the hair tie in place.
2. Using a longer stitch length, baste the elastic in place.
3. Place layered pieces atop batting cozy piece; pin.
4. Sew around all edges, leaving a 2" opening along one side edge for turning and placement of elastic.
5. On curved edges, clip notches in seam allowances up to, but not through, the stitching line.
6. Turn right side out through opening; press flat.
7. Insert free end of elastic hair tie into opening; measure circumference of cup and mark on the elastic where the cozy fits securely around cup. Start topstitching 1/4" from all edges.
8. When you reach the opening for the elastic, stop with your needle down in the fabric. Bring the cozy end with the elastic up to the opening, inserting the elastic into the opening until you hit your marked line. Tuck the raw fabric edges into the opening; pin all layers. Stitching slowly and making sure not to sew your two cozy sides together, continue topstitching 1/4" from the edge to complete cozy.