Make & Take
Designer: Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie
* 1⁄4 yard black print (straps)
* 1 yard red dot (pocket)
* 1 yard black-and-red check (carrier)
* 1 yard insulated batting, such as Insul-Bright (warmcompany.com)
* Water-soluble marking pen
Finished carrier: Holds a 13×9×2" pan with lid
Quantities are for 42"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces.
From black print, cut:
* 2--3-1⁄2×38-1⁄2" strips
From red dot, cut:
* 1--10-1⁄2×28" rectangle
* 2--10-1⁄2×20" rectangles
* 1--10-1⁄2×14" rectangle
From black-and-red check, cut:
* 1--16-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" rectangle
* 2--16-1⁄2×17-1⁄2" rectangles
From batting, cut:
* 1--16-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" rectangle
* 1--10-1⁄2×20" rectangle
Fold a black print 3-1⁄2×38-1⁄2" strip in half, wrong side inside (Diagram 1). Press, then unfold. Fold long edges to meet in center; press again. Refold in half and press. Topstitch 1⁄8" from each long edge to make a strap. Repeat with remaining black print strip to make a second strap.
1. With wrong side inside, fold red dot 10-1⁄2×14" rectangle in half, aligning short edges; press to make a 10-1⁄2×7" small pocket piece.
2. Repeat Step 1 with red dot 10-1⁄2×28" rectangle, again aligning short edges; press to make a 10-1⁄2×14" large pocket piece.
3. Place 10-1⁄2×20" batting rectangle on a flat surface. Layer a red dot 10-1⁄2×20" rectangle right side up on batting. Aligning short raw edges, place small pocket piece at one short end atop red dot rectangle, and large pocket piece at remaining short end, overlapping folds by 1"; baste (Diagram 2). Layer remaining red dot 10-1⁄2×20" rectangle right side down atop overlapping pocket pieces (Diagram 2). Sew together long edges to make a tube. Turn to right side; press flat.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, mark a line 2-1⁄4" from both raw edges. Topstitch on drawn line through all layers to make pocket.
Assemble Outer Carrier Section
1. Position raw ends of one strap on a short edge of a black-and-red check 16-1⁄2×17-1⁄2" rectangle, leaving 3-3⁄8" on each side edge; baste (Diagram 4). Topstitch 6" of each strap end in place a scant 1⁄8" from folded edges to make an outer carrier unit. Repeat to make a second outer carrier unit.
2. Aligning short edges with straps, join carrier units, leaving a 6" opening at center, to make outer carrier section (Diagram 5). Press seam open.
1. Place 16-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" batting rectangle on a flat surface. Layer black-and-red check 16-1⁄2×34-1⁄2" rectangle right side up on batting. Referring to Diagram 6, center pocket atop black-and-red check rectangle; baste. (Pocket is wider than black-and-red check rectangle to accommodate height of casserole or baking pan.)
2. With right sides together, layer outer carrier section atop pocket. Gently pull straps through opening to allow layers to be flat. Pin together along all edges.
3. Using Corner Cutting Pattern and a water-soluble marking pen, mark cutting line on a short end of Step 2 unit for rounding corners (Diagram 7). Repeat at remaining short end. Trim layered unit along marked lines, adjusting pins as needed. Sew together along all edges. Turn to right side through opening at center. Press. Slip-stitch opening closed to complete carrier.