Aprons are today's sizzling kitchen fashion accessory. Whip up an easy retro cover-up with sweet girly ruffles.
Designer: Cindy Taylor Oates
3⁄4 yard pink-and-green floral (apron, waistband, pocket)
3⁄8 yard pink print (ties, piping)
3⁄8 yard multicolor stripe (ruffle, pocket ruffle)
Lightweight, non-fusible interfacing
Finished apron: Length from waistband: 19-1⁄4"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Click on "Download this Project" above for patterns. Overlap sections on dotted lines and tape together.
From pink-and-green floral, cut:
1 of Apron Pattern
1-3-1⁄2x26" strip (waistband)
1-7" square (lower pocket)
1-3-1⁄2x7" rectangle (upper pocket)
From pink print, cut:
1-2x37" strip (piping)
2-3-1⁄2×30" strips (ties)
1-2x6-1⁄2" strip (pocket piping)
From multicolor stripe, cut:
1-4-3⁄4x42" strip (ruffle)
1-4-3⁄4x10" strip (ruffle)
1-2-3⁄4x10" strip (pocket ruffle)
From interfacing, cut:
Assemble Apron Body
1. To sew darts in apron piece, match up dashed lines, then stitch. Press darts toward center (Diagram 1).
2. With wrong sides together, fold pink print 2x37" piping strip in half lengthwise; press. Matching raw edges, sew folded strip to lower edge of apron.
3. Join multicolor stripe 4-3⁄4x42" and 4-3⁄4x10" ruffle strips together along one short edge to make one long ruffle strip. Turn under 1⁄4" on one long edge of ruffle strip; press. Turn under a second time 1⁄2"; press. Sew through all layers close to the first folded edge.
4. With a long machine stitch, sew 1⁄2" from long raw edge of ruffle strip. Pull up threads to gather edge.
5. With raw edges aligned, match center of gathered strip with bottom center of apron. Pin and stitch with 1⁄2" seam allowance (Diagram 2). Finish raw edges of seam with a machine zigzag stitch. Press seam toward apron.
6. Turn under 1⁄4" on each side edge of apron and ruffle; press. Turn under a second time 1⁄2" and press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
1. Turn under 1⁄4" twice on each long edge of one pink print 3-1⁄2x30" strip; press. Sew through all layers close to first folded edge.
2. Fold hemmed strip in half lengthwise and sew across one short end. Clip point. Press seam to one side. Turn right side out and press seam in center of hemmed strip. Sew across resulting triangle (Diagram 3).
3. In the center of each raw end of the strip, make a fold so the strip end is 1-1⁄4" wide. Pin in place, then sew across fold to complete an apron tie (Diagram 4).
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 with remaining pink print 3-1⁄2x30" strip to make a second apron tie.
Make and Add Waistband
1. With wrong sides together, press pink-and-green floral 3-1⁄2x26" strip in half lengthwise. Open up strip and press under 1⁄4" along one long edge.
2. Sew unpressed edge of waistband strip to upper edge of apron. (Waistband should extend 1⁄2" beyond each apron side edge.) Press seam toward waistband.
3. Position raw ends of apron ties on waistband just below fold. Fold waistband on previous fold with right sides together. Sew through all layers with 1⁄2" seam allowance (even with finished side edges of apron). Turn waistband and ties right side out; press.
4. Pin pressed edge of waistband to wrong side of apron; slip- stitch in place. Topstitch waistband close to bottom edge.
Make and Add Pocket
1. Fold pink print 2x6-1⁄2" pocket piping strip in half lengthwise. Sew across ends. Clip corners, turn right side out, and press.
2. Fold under 1⁄4" twice on lower edge and ends of multicolor stripe 2-3⁄4x10" pocket ruffle strip. Press. Sew close to first folded edge.
3. With a long machine stitch, sew 1⁄4" from unhemmed edge of pocket ruffle strip. Pull up threads to gather the edge, matching piping length.
4. With wrong side of ruffle on right side of pocket, center piping and ruffle on one edge of pink-and- green floral lower pocket; stitch in place (Diagram 5).
5. Aligning long edges, place interfacing on wrong side of pink-and-green floral upper pocket. Turn under 1⁄2" along opposite pocket edge and press. Sew upper pocket to lower pocket; press seam toward upper pocket (Diagram 6).
6. Fold upper pocket in half with right sides together, matching pressed edge with seam. Sew side edges with 1⁄2" seam allowance (Diagram 7). Clip corners, turn right side out, and press. Press under 1⁄2" on edges of lower pocket.
7. Referring to pattern for placement, pin pocket to apron. Edgestitch pocket to apron, keeping ruffle and piping free from stitching.