DIY Spa Mask
Make an eye mask from a terry-cloth towel and therapeutic herbs. Cool it in the freezer or heat it in the microwave—aah!
Adapted from a pattern designed by Deb Jensen, made by Wendy Musgrave
- Bath towel
- Natural filler (see spa mask fillers, below)
- Fine-point permanent marking pen
- Small funnel
Finished size: 4-1/4×8-1/4"
Click on "Download this Pattern" above for spa mask pattern; cut out. Cut two pieces from a bath towel. Be sure to transfer the dots (matching points) marked on the patterns to the templates, then to the fabric pieces.
Assemble Spa Mask:
1. Set stitch length at 2.5 to 3.0 mm (about 8–10 stitches per inch); pin pieces together with right sides together and sew, leaving an opening for turning between dots, as shown on pattern.
2. Clip seam allowances on curved areas (Diagram 1). Turn to right side.
3. Insert end of a small funnel into spa mask opening. Using selected filler (see spa mask filler, below), fill spa mask to desired level. Do not overfill. Hand-sew opening closed with a tightly stitched seam.
Spa Mask Filler:
Basic mix for one eye pillow:
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dried lavender buds
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried peppermint leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 to 4 drops lavender oil (depending on desired strength of fragrance)