Spring to Life Tote
Personalize a purchased reusable carryall by machine-appliquéing whimsical shapes on one side. Fabrics are from the Bee Basics collection by Lori Holt for Riley Blake Designs.
Inspired by: The Birds & the Bee from designer Kim Schaefer of Little Quilt Company
Project tester: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 3×11" piece dark green print (stem and leaf accent appliqués)
- 5" square yellow print (tulip appliqué)
- 3×6" piece light green print (leaf appliqués)
- 5" square each aqua print and coral print (bird body appliqués)
- Scrap of orange print (bird beak appliqués)
- 3×6" piece solid white (bird eye appliqués)
- 3" square each light blue print and pink print (bird wing appliqués)
- 4×8" piece dark blue print (bird feather and bird tail appliqués)
- 16" square canvas tote
- 1/3 yard 17"-wide lightweight fusible web
- Perle cotton No. 8: orange, yellow, green, and brown
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for the patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/4" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/8" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto designated fabric; let cool. Cut out shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From dark green print, cut:
- 1 each of patterns A, D, and D reversed
From yellow print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern B
From light green print, cut:
- 2 of Pattern C
From aqua print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern E
From coral print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern E reversed
From orange print, cut:
- 1 each of patterns F and F reversed
From solid white, cut:
- 2 of Pattern G
From light blue print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern H
From pink print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern H reversed
From dark blue print, cut:
- 1 each of patterns I, J, and K
Appliqué and Embroider Tote
Use one strand of perle cotton No. 8 for embroidery. Click on "Download this Project" above for embroidery stitch instructions.
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, center appliqué shapes on tote, making sure pieces are at least 1" from edges. Fuse pieces in place following manufacturer's instructions.
2. Using thread in colors that match appliqués, machine-zigzag-stitch appliqués in place.
3. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, use orange perle cotton to add a running stitch just inside edges of B tulip. Use yellow perle cotton to add a running stitch just inside blue bird wing. In pink bird wing use green perle cotton to make a star stitch and to add a French knot at the end of each star point. Use brown perle cotton to backstitch bird legs and to add French knots for bird knees and pupils.