Designer: Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie
- 2-16-1⁄2" squares assorted multicolor prints (backing, lining)
- 6-5-1⁄2×11" rectangles assorted novelty prints (pocket units)
- 5⁄8 yard gray linen (pocket units, binding)
- 16-1⁄2" square batting
FInished sewing caddy: 15-1⁄2" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From gray linen, cut:
- 2-2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
- 2-13×15-1⁄2" rectangles
1. Lay multicolor print backing 16-1⁄2" square wrong side up on a flat surface. Place batting 16-1⁄2" square and multicolor print lining 16-1⁄2" square, right side up, atop backing; baste (Diagram 1).
2. Quilt as desired to make a quilted foundation. Designer Monica Solorio-Snow machine-quilted a grid about 2-1⁄2" apart.
3. Trim quilted foundation to 15-1⁄2" square.
Assemble Pocket Units
1) Sew together three assorted novelty print 5-1⁄2×11" rectangles along long edges to make a pieced unit (Diagram 2). Press seams open. The unit should be 11×15-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
2) With wrong side inside, fold pieced unit in half lengthwise to make a 5-1⁄2×15-1⁄2" pieced rectangle; press (Diagram 3).
3) Fold a gray linen 13×15-1⁄2" rectangle in half lengthwise to make a 6-1⁄2×15-1⁄2" rectangle; press.
4) Layer pieced rectangle atop Step 3 rectangle, aligning raw edges.
5) Referring to Diagram 4, topstitch 1⁄8" on each side of seam lines to make a pocket unit.
6) Using remaining assorted novelty print rectangles and gray linen rectangle, repeat steps 1–5 to make a second pocket unit.
Finish Sewing Caddy
1) Aligning raw edges, layer pocket units on opposite edges of quilted foundation, with folded edges toward the center (Diagram 5); pin.
2) Stay-stitch 1⁄8" from raw edges to hold pocket units in place (Diagram 5).
3) Bind with gray linen binding strips.