Quilted Tote Bag
Inspired by "Curve Appeal" from designer Angela Phillips
Project maker: Judy Sams Sohn
- 3/4 yard blue floral (bag body, pocket, straps)
- 1-1/8 yards blue stripe (bag body, bag base, bag lining, pocket trim, pockets)
- 1-1/2 yards fusible fleece
- 6x14" ultrastiff plastic canvas
Finished bag: 12x14"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Pattern" for pattern pieces. Be sure to transfer dots to templates, then to fabric pieces. These dots are matching points and are necessary when joining pieces.
From blue floral, cut:
- 2--5x22-1/2" strips
- 2--11-1/2x18" rectangles
- 1--4-1/2x5" rectangle
From blue stripe, cut:
- 2--15-1/2x18" rectangles
- 2--4-1/2x18" rectangles
- 2--7x16" rectangles
- 3--4-1/2x7" rectangles
- 2--4-1/2x5-3/4" rectangles
From fusible fleece, cut:
- 4--15-1/2x18" rectangles
- 2--7x16" rectangles
- 2--5x22-1/2" rectangles
- 1--4x6-1/2" rectangle
- 1--4x5-1/2" rectangle
- 1--4x5-1/4" rectangle
From plastic canvas, cut:
- 1 of Base Support Pattern
Assemble And Quilt Outer Pocket
1. Join short edges of blue floral 4-1/2x5" rectangle and a blue stripe 4-1/2x7" rectangle to make pocket unit (Diagram 1). Press seam toward blue stripe.
2. Fold pocket unit in half, aligning short edges. Join long and short edges, leaving a 3" opening for turning (Diagram 2).
3. Trim across bottom corners of fleece 4x5-1/2" rectangle to reduce bulk; fuse to wrong side of pocket unit (Diagram 3). Turn right side out through opening. Press and slip-stitch opening closed to make a pocket. Quilt as desired.
Assemble And Quilt Bag Body
1. Sew together a blue floral 11-1/2x18" rectangle and a blue stripe 4-1/2x18" rectangle to make a pieced unit (Diagram 4). Press seam toward blue stripe.
2. Press fusible fleece 15-1/2x18" rectangle to wrong side of pieced unit; let cool. Using Bag Body Cutting Pattern, cut out bag body piece. Quilt as desired.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make and quilt a second bag body piece.
4. Position pocket on one bag body piece (see Bag Body Cutting Pattern for placement). Topstitch side and bottom edges of pocket to bag body piece (Diagram 5).
5. Join side edges of bag body pieces. Press seams open. Align the side seams so they now meet at center of bag. Mark new side "seams" of bag body with pins (Diagram 6).
6. Press fusible fleece 7x16" rectangle to wrong side of each blue stripe 7x16" rectangle. Cut two of Bag Base Cutting Pattern from fused rectangles. Set one bag base aside for lining. Quilt one bag base as desired.
7. Fold bag base in fourths, and mark each fold with a pin. Matching quarter marks, sew together the bag base and bag body to make outer bag (Diagram 7). Turn outer bag right side out.
1. Press a fusible fleece 5x22-1/2" strip to wrong side of a blue floral 5x22-1/2" strip. With wrong side inside, fold fused strip in half. Press, then unfold. Fold long edges to meet in center; press again (Diagram 8).
2. Referring to Diagram 8, fold strip in half lengthwise, matching folded edges, and press. Topstitch along both edges and down the center to make a strap.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second strap.
4. Referring to Diagram 9, pin strap ends to outside of bag body, 2-1/2" from seams and with strap ends aligned with upper curved edge; baste.
1. Join two blue stripe 4-1/2x7" rectangles around all edges, leaving a 3" opening along one edge, to make a pocket unit.
2. Trim across corners of fleece 4x6-1/2" rectangle and fuse to wrong side of pocket unit. Turn right side out through opening. Press and slip-stitch opening closed to make lining pocket.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 using blue stripe 4-1/2x5-3/4" rectangles and fleece 4x5-1/4" rectangle to make a second lining pocket.
4. Press one fusible fleece 15-1/2x18" rectangle to wrong side of each blue stripe 15-1/2x18" rectangle. Using Bag Body Cutting Pattern, cut out two lining body pieces.
5. Position one pocket on each lining piece (see Diagram 10 for placement). Topstitch pockets in place along side and lower edges. Stitch down larger pocket 1-3/4" from right-hand edge to make a divided lining pocket (Diagram 10).
6. Sew together side edges of body lining pieces, leaving a 4" opening for turning, to make a bag body lining.
7. Referring to Assemble and Quilt Bag Body, Step 7, mark and pin bag body lining and remaining bag base. Sew together to make bag lining.
1. Insert outer bag into bag lining with right sides together and seams matching. Stitch along top edges. Turn right side out through opening in lining to make bag. Smooth lining inside bag. Press bag's upper edge; topstitch 1/8" from edge.
2. Insert plastic canvas base support through opening in lining; fit in place at bottom of bag. Slip-stitch opening closed.