Pieced Sewing Wristlet
Inspired by Patchwork Pouch from designer Sherri K. Falls of This & That
Project maker: Jody Sanders
- 11--5" charm squares or 1/4 yard total assorted prints in blue, brown, and green (bag)
- 18x22" piece (fat quarter) blue spool print (accent strip, bag)
- 18x22" piece (fat quarter) brown pin print (lining)
- 1/4 yard heavyweight fusible interfacing
- 10"-long or longer blue zipper
- 10"-long strip of blue gingham check ribbon (handle)
- Water–soluble pen
Finished bag: 9x6"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4 " seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for Corner Cutting Pattern.
From assorted blue, brown, and green prints, cut:
- 18--2" squares
From blue spool print, cut:
- 1--6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle
- 1--2x9-1/2" strip
From brown pin print, cut:
- 2--6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles
From interfacing, cut:
- 2--6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles
Assemble Bag Body
1. Sew together six assorted blue, brown, and green print 2" squares to make a pieced strip (Diagram 1). Press seams open. The strip should be 2x9-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make three pieced strips total.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together pieced strips and blue spool print 2x9-1/2" strip to make bag front. Press seams in one direction. The bag front should be 6-1/2x9-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse a 6-1/2x9-1/2" interfacing rectangle to wrong side of bag front. Repeat with remaining piece of fusible interfacing and blue spool print 6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle to make bag back.
5. Using Corner Cutting Pattern and a water-soluble marking pen, trace dart lines and curved cutting line on wrong side of bag front at both bottom corners (Diagram 3). Trim along curved cutting lines.
6. With right side inside, match traced lines for a dart. Sew on traced lines to make dart. Repeat to make second dart.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 using bag back and brown pin print 6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles for lining.
Add Handle and Zipper
1. Fold blue gingham ribbon in half, aligning cut ends, to make handle.
2. Pin handle to side of bag front, 1-1/2" from top edge with raw edges aligned (Diagram 4); sew in place.
3. Place a lining rectangle right side up on flat surface. Center and align zipper, right side up, along top edge of lining rectangle. Place bag front, right side down, on top of zipper, aligning edges; pin layers together (Diagram 5). Using a zipper foot and 1/4" seam allowance, sew zipper to bag front.
4. Finger-press bag front and lining away from zipper. Topstitch 1/8" from fold (Diagram 6).
5. Using remaining lining rectangle and bag back, repeat steps 3 and 4 on opposite edge of zipper.
1. Open zipper halfway. With right sides together, layer bag front and bag back, aligning edges; pin, making sure handle is tucked between bag front and bag back and not in seam line. Match lining pieces; pin.
2. With zipper still open halfway, sew together pieces, stitching across zipper ends and leaving a 3" opening in lining bottom for turning (Diagram 7). Trim excess zipper ends.
3. Turn bag right side out through opening in lining; hand-stitch opening closed.
4. Insert lining into bag and press to complete bag.