Pieced Polka Dot Pouch
Inspired by Patchwork Pouch from designer Sherri K. Falls of This & That
Project maker: Jody Sanders
11-5" charm squares or 1/4 yard total assorted polka dots in black, gray, white, and yellow (bag)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) black polka dot (lining, bag)
1/4 yard heavyweight fusible interfacing
10"-long or longer black zipper
12"-long black dot ribbon (handle)
Finished bag: 9x6"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for Corner Cutting Pattern.
From assorted black, gray, white, and yellow polka dots, cut:
From black polka dot, cut:
From interfacing, cut:
Assemble Bag Body
1. Sew together six assorted black, gray, white, and yellow polka dot 2" squares to make a pieced strip (Diagram 1). Press seams open. The strip should be 2x9-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make four pieced strips total.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together four pieced strips to make bag front. Press seams in one direction. The bag front should be 6-1/2x9-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse a 6-1/2x9-1/2" interfacing rectangle to wrong side of bag front. Repeat with remaining piece of fusible interfacing and a black polka dot 6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle to make bag back.
5. Using Corner Cutting Pattern and a water-soluble marking pen, trace dart lines and curved cutting line on wrong side of bag front at both bottom corners (Diagram 3). Trim along curved cutting lines.
6. With right side inside, match traced lines for a dart. Sew on traced lines to make dart. Repeat to make second dart.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 using bag back and remaining black polka dot 6-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles for lining.
Add Handle and Zipper
1. Fold black dot ribbon in half, aligning cut ends, to make handle.
2. Pin handle to side of bag front, 1-1/2" from top edge with raw edges aligned (Diagram 4); sew in place.
3. Place a lining rectangle right side up on flat surface. Center and align zipper, right side up, along top edge of lining rectangle. Place bag front, right side down, on top of zipper, aligning edges; pin layers together (Diagram 5). Using a zipper foot and 1/4" seam allowance, sew zipper to bag front.
4. Finger-press bag front and lining away from zipper. Topstitch 1/8" from fold (Diagram 6).
5. Using remaining lining rectangle and bag back, repeat steps 3 and 4 on opposite edge of zipper.
1. Open zipper halfway. With right sides together, layer bag front and bag back, aligning edges; pin, making sure handle is tucked between bag front and bag back and not in seam line. Match lining pieces; pin.
2. With zipper still open halfway, sew together pieces, stitching across zipper ends and leaving a 3" opening in lining bottom for turning (Diagram 7). Trim excess zipper ends.
3. Turn bag right side out through opening in lining; hand-stitch opening closed.
4. Insert lining into bag and press to complete bag.