Hold Anything Tote
Inspired by: Out & About from designer Kristyne Czepuryk
Project tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished bag: 16×14×4"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/2 yard yellow print (bag body, handles)
- 1/2 yard purple print (bag body)
- 5/8 yard cream print (lining)
- Heavyweight stabilizer (such as ByAnnieʼs Soft and Stable) or quilt batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
From yellow print, cut:
- 1—4-1/2×16-1/2" rectangle
- 2—3-1/2×15-1/2" rectangles
- 2—2-1/2×20-1/2" rectangles
- 4—2-1/2×12-1/2" rectangles
From purple print, cut:
- 2—12-1/2×16-1/2" rectangles
From cream print, cut:
- 2—14-1/2×20-1/2" rectangles
- 1—4-1/2×161⁄2" rectangle
From heavyweight stabilizer or batting, cut:
- 1—22×34" rectangle
- 2—1-1/2×15" rectangles
Assemble Bag Body
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew yellow print 2-1/2×12-1/2" rectangles to short edges of purple print 12-1/2×16-1/2" rectangle. Add yellow print 2-1/2×20-1/2" rectangle to top edge to make bag front. The bag front should be 14-1/2×20-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make bag back.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, center and sew yellow print 4-1/2×16-1/2" rectangle to bottom edges of bag front and bag back.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, center Step 2 unit right side up atop stabilizer or batting 22×34" rectangle; baste. Quilt as desired.
4. Trim excess stabilizer or batting even with fabric edges.
5. Fold quilted unit in half with right side inside. Align bag front and back seams; sew side edges together (Diagram 4) to make the bag body. Press seams open.
6. To shape a flat bag bottom, at one corner match center of yellow print bag bottom rectangle with side seam, creating a flattened edge (Diagram 5). Sew raw edges together. Repeat with remaining corner. Turn bag body right side out.
1. Referring to Diagram 6, center and sew cream print 4-1/2×16-1/2" rectangle to long edges of cream print 14-1/2×20-1/2" rectangles.
2. Fold Step 1 unit in half with right side inside; align edges. Join side edges, leaving a 4" opening in one edge for turning (Diagram 7). Referring to Assemble Bag Body, Step 6, shape a flat bottom to make lining. Do not turn lining right side out.
1. Insert bag body into lining with right sides together; align side seams (Diagram 8). Pin top edges and sew together.
2. Turn right side out through opening in lining; stitch opening closed. Insert lining into bag body; press top edge. Topstitch 1/4" from top edge.
3. Press under 1/4" on all edges of a yellow print 3-1/2×15-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 9). Place a stabilizer or batting 1-1/2×15" rectangle along one fold. Fold rectangle in half lengthwise to encase stabilizer; press. Topstitch 1/8" from all edges to make a handle. Repeat to make a second handle.
4. Referring to Diagram 10, pin ends of one handle to top edge of bag body with ends just above purple print and 5" between them. Topstitch handle to bag in a rectangle shape filled with an X. Repeat with second handle to complete bag.