Troubleshoot Color Selection
Having trouble choosing fabrics for your quilt? Use these ideas to help find solutions to your color dilemmas.
If you don’t know where to start:
- Read quilt books and magazines, studying the designs you like best.
- Use a favorite fabric as a starting point for choosing others.
- Join a quilt guild for inspiration and advice from fellow quilters.
If you like a quilt pattern but don’t like its colors:
- Study color combinations in favorite articles of clothing.
- Look at home decorating magazines for color inspiration.
If the fabrics you’ve chosen have no color continuity:
- Replace some of the stronger colors with their muted versions.
- Try adding a complementary color.
- Choose a dominant fabric to use in the blocks and borders, unifying the overall design.
- Add neutrals or less-intense colors to give the eye a place to rest.
Continued on Page 4:
More to check out: