1. Sew short blue polka dot inner border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long blue polka dot inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
2. Sew short dark blue flannel outer border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long dark blue flannel outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Designer Tammy Johnson used silver metallic thread to machine-quilt a swirling design in the quilt’s center, randomly adding snowflake motifs. Using light blue thread, she quilted a loop design in the inner border. The outer border has a wave motif quilted with dark blue thread.
3. Bind with dark blue print binding strips.
4. Referring to photo, hand-sew assorted black buttons on snowman. Hand-sew four assorted white buttons on each snowflake appliqué.
5. Using black perle cotton, stitch a French knot to make the bird’s eye and six French knots to make the snowman’s mouth. To make a French knot, bring needle up at A (French Knot Diagram). Wrap perle cotton around needle tip twice without twisting it. Bring needle back down at B, about 1⁄16" away from A, and bring perle cotton through to back smoothly.