Assemble House Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each gray floral and solid black 2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, align a marked gray floral 2" square with upper left-hand corner of a dark multicolor stripe 3-1⁄2x9-1⁄8" rectangle; note direction of stripes on rectangle and drawn line on square. Stitch on marked line. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press attached triangle open, pressing seam toward triangle. Align a marked solid black square with adjacent corner of the same dark multicolor stripe rectangle (Diagram 3; again note direction of drawn line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a side unit. The unit still should be 3-1⁄2x9-1⁄8" including seam allowances.
3. Align a marked gray floral 2" square with right-hand end of a solid black 2x6-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 4). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make roof segment. The segment still should be 6-1⁄2x2" including seam allowances.
4. Gather a set of magenta print pieces (two 2x6-1⁄2" rectangles, two 1-1⁄4x2-3⁄4" rectangles, four 1-5⁄8" squares, and eight 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangles), eight solid pink 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangles, and one solid teal 2x2-3⁄8" rectangle.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, sew together two magenta print 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangles, three solid pink 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangles, and two magenta print 1-5⁄8" squares to make a window row. Press seams away from solid pink rectangles. The row should be 6-1⁄2x1-5⁄8" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second window row.
6. Sew together two magenta print 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangles and one solid pink 1-1⁄4x1-5⁄8" rectangle in a row (Diagram 6). Press seams away from solid pink rectangle. Add a magenta print 1-1⁄4x2-3⁄4" rectangle to bottom edge of row to make a window segment. Press seam toward magenta print rectangle. The segment should be 2-3⁄4x2-3⁄8" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second window segment.
7. Sew together window segments and solid teal 2x2-3⁄8" rectangle to make door row (Diagram 7). Press seams toward solid teal rectangle. The door row should be 6-1⁄2x2-3⁄8" including seam allowances.
8. Referring to Diagram 8, sew together a roof segment, window rows, magenta print 2x6-1⁄2" rectangles, and door row to make front unit. Press seams away from window and door rows. The front unit should be 6-1⁄2x9-1⁄8" including seam allowances.
9. Referring to Diagram 9, lay out two gray floral 7⁄8x2-3⁄4" rectangles, three solid black 7⁄8" squares, one gray floral 7⁄8" square, and one gray floral 7⁄8x3-1⁄2" rectangle in a row. Join pieces to make chimney unit. Press seams in one direction. The chimney unit should be 9-1⁄2x7⁄8" including seam allowances.
10. Sew together the side unit and front unit (Diagram 10). Press seam toward side unit. Add chimney unit to top edge of joined units to make a magenta house block. Press seam away from chimney unit. The magenta house block should be 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
11. Repeat steps 2–10 to make two magenta house blocks.
12. Using green print instead of magenta print and dark multicolor stripe rectangles with the stripes running lengthwise instead of widthwise, repeat steps 2–10 to make three green house blocks total.