Cut and Assemble Blocks
These instructions make one block from two prints—a light and a dark. Using the specified fabrics, repeat the cutting and assembly instructions the number of times listed below to make blocks that range from lightest (Block A) to darkest (Block G).
• 1 of Block A (off-white print and light green print)
• 2 of Block B (light blue batik and mint green print)
• 3 of Block C (dark mint green print and multicolor print)
• 3 of Block D (blue print and mottled teal)
• 3 of Block E (dark teal print and mottled dark blue)
• 2 of Block F (mottled teal and mottled dark blue)
• 1 of Block G (dark aqua print and navy blue batik)
From light print and dark print each, cut:
• 1—6-7⁄8" square, cutting it in half diagonally for 2 large triangles total (you’ll have 1 left over)
• 4—2-7⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 8 small triangles total (you’ll have 1 left over)
1. Sew together a light print small triangle and a dark print small triangle to make a triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward dark triangle. The triangle-square should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four triangle-squares total.
2. Lay out four triangle-squares, three light print small triangles, and three dark print small triangles in rows (Diagram 2). Sew together pieces in each row, then join rows to make a pieced small-triangle section. Press seams in one direction.
3. Sew a light print large triangle and a dark print large triangle to long edges of the pieced small-triangle section to make a block (Diagram 3). Press seams toward large triangles. The block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.