1. For one block, gather four matching orange print 3-1/2" squares, four 2-1/2x4" rectangles and eight 1-1/2" squares from the same green print (or green-and-black print), four black print 1-1/2" squares, and eight black tone-on-tone 2-3/4" squares.
2. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each green print 1-1/2" square and black print 1-1/2" square.
3. Align marked green print squares with opposite corners of an orange print 3-1/2" square (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn lines). Sew on drawn lines. Trim excess fabric, leaving 1/4" seam allowances. Press open attached triangles.
4. Align a marked black print square with a remaining corner of orange print square (Diagram 2; note direction of drawn line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a petal unit.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make four petal units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, join petal units in pairs, placing black print corners together. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a flower unit. Press seam in one direction. The flower unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
7. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together two black tone-on-tone 2-3/4" squares and one green print 2-1/2x4" rectangle in a row (the rectangle will extend above the squares) to make a leaf unit; press seams toward green print rectangle. Repeat to make four leaf units total.
8. Aligning midpoints, sew leaf units to opposite edges of flower unit (Diagram 5). Press seams toward leaf units; do not trim excess fabric.
9. Add leaf units to remaining edges of flower unit to make a flower block (Diagram 6). Press seams as before. Using an acrylic ruler, center and trim flower block to 9" square including seam allowances (Diagram 7).
10. Repeat steps 1–9 to make five flower blocks total.