Assemble Lemon Slice Appliqués
1. Place yellow tone-on-tone A circle appliqué, fusible side down, atop a nonstick pressing sheet or parchment paper. With fusible sides down, center orange tone-on-tone B ring appliqué and white crosshatch print C appliqué on A circle (Diagram 1). Referring to manufacturer’s instructions, fuse pieces together to make a whole lemon slice appliqué. Peel appliqué off pressing sheet or parchment paper.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, carefully cut the whole lemon slice appliqué in half to make two half lemon slice appliqués (you will use one).
Assemble and Appliqué Section A
1. Referring to Section A Assembly Diagram, first horizontal row, arrange orange tone-on-tone, yellow crosshatch, and orange stripe E lemon appliqués on white stripe 6-3⁄4 ×19-1⁄2" rectangle. Lemons should extend beyond bottom edge and be about 3" from left-hand edge and about 5" from right-hand edge. Fuse in place; trim extending lemons.
2. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on white stripe 4-3⁄8" square. Layer marked square atop brown teacup print 4-3⁄8" square. Stitch 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line. Cut on drawn line and press open to make two triangle-squares (Diagram 3). Each should be 4" square including seam allowances.
3. Referring to Section A Assembly Diagram, second horizontal row, sew together white stripe 3×4" rectangle, triangle-squares, brown teacup print 4×6" rectangle, and white stripe 4×4-1⁄2" rectangle. Press seams away from triangle-squares. Sew row to bottom edge of Step 1 unit to make bowl block; press seam toward bottom row. The bowl block should be 10-1⁄4 ×19-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
4. Position and fuse a half lemon slice appliqué on bowl block. Using threads that match the appliqués and stitching from bottom layer to top, machine-blanket-stitch or machine-zigzag-stitch half lemon slice and lemons appliqués in place.
5. Referring to Section A Assembly Diagram, fourth horizontal row, position these appliqués on blue orange peel print 14-1⁄2 ×19-1⁄2" rectangle: orange stripe 1⁄2 ×8-1⁄2" stem, brown stripe 1⁄2 ×8-1⁄4" stem, white dot G reversed flower, yellow tone-on-tone G flower, brown tone-on-tone and orange teacup print H flower centers, brown stripe and orange stripe F leaves, and yellow crosshatch and orange crosshatch E lemons. Fuse pieces in place and appliqué as before.
6. Referring to Section A Assembly Diagram, join bowl block, orange crosshatch 1-1⁄2 ×19-1⁄2" strip, Step 5 unit, and yellow oven mitt print 7-3⁄4×19-1⁄2" rectangle. Press seams in one direction.
7. Position and fuse brown tone-on-tone D scallop appliqué on yellow oven mitt print 7-3⁄4×19-1⁄2" rectangle. Fuse in place and appliqué as before.
8. Add brown stripe 1-1⁄2 ×32-1⁄2" strip to left-hand edge to make Section A. Press seam toward strip. The section should be 20-1⁄2 ×32-1⁄2" including seam allowances.