Assemble and Add Borders
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each mottled yellow 2-5/8" square.
2. Layer a marked mottled yellow 2-5/8" square atop a red bird print 2-5/8" square. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 2).
3. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units (Diagram 2). Open triangle units and press seams toward red bird print to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1/4" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 16 triangle-squares total.
5. Sew together triangle-squares in a row to make a pieced border strip (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams in one direction. The pieced border strip should be 2-1/4x28-1/2" including seam allowances. Sew pieced border strip to top edge of quilt center. Press seam toward quilt center.
6. Join red-and-yellow stripe border strip to bottom edge of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seam toward border.