Assemble and Appliqué Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 1, join two multicolor stripe 5" squares and two green print 5" squares in pairs. Press seams toward green print squares. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The Four-Patch unit should be 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, center and press a fusible-web A circle onto wrong side of Four-Patch unit; let cool. Cut out fabric circle on drawn line. Peel off paper backing to make an A circle appliqué.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 16 A circle appliqués total.
4. Fold a brown tone-on-tone 10" square in half horizontally and vertically; slightly press each fold to make a foundation square with guidelines.
5. Referring to Diagram 2, center an A circle appliqué atop foundation square, aligning seam lines with guidelines. Center a B circle appliqué atop A circle. Fuse circles in place following manufacturer’s directions.
6. Using green thread, machine-zigzag-stitch around A and B circles to make an appliquéd block. Trim block to 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 4–6 to make 16 appliquéd blocks total.