1. Trim bottom left-hand corner of an assorted print 5×28" strip at a 60° angle (Diagram 1). Cutting parallel to just-trimmed edge, cut strip into four 5"-wide diamonds. Repeat with remaining assorted print 5×28" strips to cut 24 assorted print diamonds total (you will use 23).
2. Referring to Diagram 2, align an assorted print 18"-long strip with an edge of an assorted print diamond; strip should extend about 1⁄4" beyond diamond corner. Sew together. Press strip open and trim both strip ends even with diamond edges (Diagram 3). Reserve long trimmed strip; discard short trimmed strip.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, align Step 3 long trimmed strip with adjacent edge of assorted print diamond; stitch as before. Press strip open. Trim strip ends as before (Diagram 5) to make a diamond unit. Discard trimmed pieces.
4. In same manner, add second and third rows of strips to same diamond unit edges, trimming strips after each addition (Diagram 6). Quilt tester Laura Boehnke varied strip widths by row, making sure the combined width of the rows was at least 2-3⁄4" including seam allowances. (Depending on your strip width, you may need to cut and add a fourth row of strips.)
5. Referring to Diagram 7, measure 7-1⁄2" from diamond edges and trim diamond unit to make a block.
6. Repeat steps 2–5 to make 23 blocks total.