1. For one block, gather two matching light/medium batik 3-3⁄8" squares and two matching medium/dark batik 3-3⁄8" squares.
2. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each light/medium square.
3. Layer marked square on medium/dark batik 3-3⁄8" square. Sew together pair with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line. (Diagram 1).
4. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam toward darker batik, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make four matching triangle-squares total.
6. Sew together triangle-squares in pairs (Diagram 2). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make 24 Pinwheel blocks total. Note: Quilt tester Laura Boehnke made some blocks with the darker batik in the positions shown in Diagram 2 and some with the dark and light batiks in opposite positions.