Assemble Spool Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each tan print 1-1/2" square.
2. Align a marked tan print square with one end of a brown print 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of marked line). Sew on marked line; trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward tan print.
3. Align a second marked tan print square with opposite end of Step 2 rectangle (Diagram 1; again note direction of marked line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a spool end unit. The unit should be 6-1/2x1-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make six spool end units total.
5. Sew tan print 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of a blue print 4-1/2" square to make a thread unit (Diagram 2). Press seams toward square. The unit should be 6-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances. Using green and gold print 4-1/2" squares, repeat to make three thread units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 3, sew spool end units to opposite edges of a thread unit to make a Spool block. Press seams toward thread unit. The block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three Spool blocks total.