Cut and Assemble Blocks
These instructions result in two matching Lost Ship blocks. Repeat cutting and assembly instructions to make 36 Lost Ship blocks total. Cut pieces in the order that follows.
From solid cream, cut:
From one orange-and-pink print, cut:
1. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid cream 4-7⁄8" and 2-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer marked solid cream 4-7⁄8" square atop orange-and-pink print 4-7⁄8" square. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two large triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam toward orange-and-pink print, to make two large triangle-squares. Each large triangle-square should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
3. Using solid marked cream 2-7⁄8" squares and orange-and-pink print 2-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step
2 to make 10 small triangle-squares (Diagram 2). Each small triangle-square should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two small triangle-squares in a vertical row; press seam toward bottom of row. Add vertical row to right-hand edge of large triangle-square. Press seam toward large triangle-square.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, join three small triangle-squares in a horizontal row; press seams toward right-hand end of row.
6. Add horizontal row to top edge of large triangle-square to make a Lost Ship block. Press seam open. The block should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 2–6 to make a matching Lost Ship block.