1. For one star block, gather eight Rail Fence units and one 3-1/2" square and eight 2" squares in the same brown print.
2. Use a pencil or dressmaker’s chalk to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each brown print 2" square.
3. Align a marked square with one corner of a Rail Fence unit (Diagram 2; note directions of marked line and Rail Fence seams). Sew on marked line; trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle.
4. Align a marked square with adjoining corner of Rail Fence unit (Diagram 2; again note directions of marked line and seams). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a vertical star point unit. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make a second vertical star point unit. Referring to Diagram 3, position Rail Fence seams horizontally and repeat steps 3 and 4 to make two horizontal star point units.
6. Referring to Diagram 4 for placement, sew together remaining Rail Fence units, two vertical and two horizontal star point units, and brown print 3-1/2" square in rows. Press seams away from star point units. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams in one direction. The star block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make nine star blocks total.