Assemble Star Blocks
1. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each yellow print 4-1⁄4" square.
2. Layer a marked yellow print square atop a pink print 4-1⁄4" square. Referring to Diagram 3, sew squares together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam toward pink print, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-7⁄8" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching triangle-squares total.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, cut each triangle-square in half diagonally, cutting from the yellow print to the pink print, to make four A triangles and four B triangles.
4. Sew together two A triangles or B triangles to make an hourglass unit (Diagram 5); press seams open. The unit should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching hourglass units total.
5. Referring to Diagram 6, sew together one remaining Nine-Patch unit, four hourglass units, and four yellow print 3-1⁄2" squares in three rows. Press seams toward yellow print or open. Join rows to make a star block; press seams open. The star block should be 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 2–5 to make three star blocks total.