Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out appliquéd blocks in six horizontal rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 40-1⁄2 ×48-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Borders
1. Cut and piece beige print 1-1⁄2 ×42" strips to make:
• 2—1-1⁄2 ×48-1⁄2" inner border strips
• 2—1-1⁄2 ×42-1⁄2" inner border strips
2. Sew long inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 42-1⁄2 ×50-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Beginning and ending with orange print rectangles, join four assorted orange print 4-1⁄2 ×7-3⁄4" rectangles and three solid black 4-1⁄2 ×7-3⁄4" rectangles to make a side outer border strip (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams in one direction. Trim 3⁄8" off each short end of strip. The side outer border strip should be 4-1⁄2 ×50-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make and trim a second side outer border strip.
4. Beginning and ending with orange print rectangles, join three assorted orange print 4-1⁄2 ×9" rectangles and two solid black 4-1⁄2 ×9" rectangles to make top outer border unit (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press as before. Trim 1⁄4" from each short end of unit. The top outer border unit should be 4-1⁄2 ×42-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Sew a solid black 4-1⁄2" square to each end of unit to make a top outer border strip. Press seams toward squares. The top outer border strip should be 4-1⁄2 ×50-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make bottom outer border strip.
5. Sew side outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Join top and bottom outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward inner border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Avis machine-quilted in the ditch around each block and stitched along the edges of each seed appliqué. She quilted the outer border with a meandering design.
3. Bind with solid black binding strips.