Designer: Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co.
Materials For Large Wall Art
• 40—3×6" rectangles assorted batiks in gold, purple, blue, fuchsia, and aqua
• 16×20" frame
Finished large wall art: 16×20"
Cut Fabrics for Large Wall Art
From assorted batiks, cut:
• 80—2-7⁄8" squares (40 sets of 2 matching squares)
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of two matching batik 2-7⁄8" squares. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2. Layer a marked batik square atop a contrasting batik 2-7⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
3. Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press open each triangle unit, pressing seam in one direction, to make two triangle-squares (Diagram 1). Each triangle-square should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make four matching triangle-squares total.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make 20 sets of four matching triangle-squares total.
Assemble Birds in Air and Pinwheel Units
1. Referring to Diagram 2 for placement, sew together four matching triangle-squares in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Birds in Air unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make 19 Birds in Air units total.
3. Referring to Diagram 3 for placement, sew together four matching triangle-squares in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble Large Pieced Unit
1. Referring to Diagram 4 for placement, join Birds in Air units and the Pinwheel unit in five horizontal rows, noting orientation of triangle-squares.
2. Sew together units in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a large pieced unit; press seams in one direction. The unit should be 16-1⁄2 ×20-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
Finish Large Wall Art
Frame large pieced unit as desired. The large wall art is mounted in a frame with a 16×20" opening.